Monday, August 31, 2009

City Wok - Mission Hills

So we were craving chinese food tonight and Eddie and Aaron took me to City Wok. At first, all I could think about was the South Park episode where an establishment of a similar moniker was run by an actual Chinaman who said "shitty wok". Get it? Yeah, super clever. Thanks Matt and Trey. Ok, I laughed. Fuck me.

My god I digress.

So unlike the above, City Wok is not a small mom and pop, hole-in-the-wall, authentic Chinese restaurant. It's more of a Pick-Up Stix or Pei Wei sorta joint. That being said, it was pretty damn good. The menu includes chicken, beef, shrimp, pork, vegetable and noodle options. And plenty in each category. We did family style, so I had a chance to try the Wonton soup, the house beef (City Wok beef), Sesame Chicken and Chow Mein. The Wonton soup was really good, and seemingly really healthy, comprised of a light, clear-ish broth with fresh vegetables, shrimp and of course, wontons. The two meat entrees were good as well, but not amazing. The beef had a great sauce and was accompanied by hot chili peppers, which was a huge plus. The beef was overcooked though and although the crispy texture was nice, it was also chewy. The chicken was also tasty, but lacked the strong, bold flavors I would've like for it to have. I wasn't in the mood for noodles, so I didn't really try the Chow Mein, but I do have to say that they were very thin noodles, which makes for an interesting take on the dish.

The service was definitely competent and very friendly. In fact, maybe a little too friendly. Sorta that weird, you smile so much maybe you're a clown, or maybe an evil clown thing? Like, maybe you're the fucking Joker. Whatever. The food came quick. The restaurant was also surprisingly nice. Well decorated and very clean, it puts out a solid image. The prices are reasonable, being around $7-8 for a single serving and around $11 for a full (or double) serving. Family style is a good choice if you're there with friends, if nothing else, just to try the melange of dishes.

So overall, give it a whirl. Good, decently priced Chinese food. Again, not real Chinese, mind you, but still good shit. Nothing wrong with that.

Overall Score (out of 5): 3.6

2 comments:

cadoner said...

I always thought that place was fake. Also, every time I load a page on your blog, it asks me in a pop-up window for a Twitter username and password.

Eric Thomas said...

Nah, real as they come. Good stuff. I'm trying to figure out the Twitter login thing since you're not the first person to mention it and it looks like it has something to do with the Twitter module I have throwing some funky API's at Twitter. I'll eventually replace the module.

Post a Comment